Day 29--30 Days of Thankfulness

Today I am thankful for the Internet. I know that sounds sort of odd, but I am extremely grateful for it! The Internet allows me to access information I wouldn't otherwise have access to...such as cloth diapers, baby-wearing info, info about TTC, connections with people from the past and present, my blog, etc. etc. etc.

I remember when the Internet was first available in my school. It was very...difficult and boring. I was in third grade the first time I saw it. (That was '94/'95.) It was very cool, but at that point it was all dial-up, very slow, difficult to navigate, and search engines didn't exist. You HAD to type in http://www._____.com or your website would NOT show up. I remember seeing the White House's page for the first time. I learned all about the Clinton's cat, Socks. Haha. As my class of around 13 third graders and 8 4th graders (I was in a combination class that year...obviously) sat there waiting for the image of Socks to load, I remember feeling excited that such a thing could exist...and wondering if that stupid cat's picture was EVER going to load! About 6 years later, we got Internet at my house. We could only use it in the evening since we had dial-up. Thankfully, we installed an Internet answering machine for when we were online, but after a couple of years of dial-up, we got cable Internet. Thank goodness for whoever developed that! Learning the ropes of Yahoo IM, AIM, email, Google, Gmail, Myspace, Facebook, Google+, etc. etc. etc. exhilarated me. I even had my own website in middle/high school hosted at Geocities where I taught myself how to write HTML. In college, I taught myself how to knit and crochet via the Internet. All in all, I wouldn't know half the things I know now because of the Internet! :-)





If you could take 2 seconds and give this a click, it would mean so much to me! Thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment