Split Pea Soup

This is a one pot meal that really sticks to your ribs. Make it for a large family or if you have leftovers you can freeze it for another day.


Dice 3 stalks celery, 3 large carrots, and one large onion.


 Add 2tbs of oil in a soup pot and saute' the veggies.


Add 1tbs of dried thyme, dried parsley leaves and one bay leaf. Also add 2-3 cloves of garlic chopped finely and pepper to taste. Do not add salt.

There are coupling reasons not to add salt:
1. If you are using the ham bone it will give off a lot of salt while cooking.
2. Too much salt now will slow down the dried peas from cooking.


If you have a ham bone, this is a great time to use it. I had one left over from Christmas and I gingerly saved it in the freezer to make this soup. If you do not have a ham bone you can skip this step, but the flavor from the ham bone is terrific.  **I believe you can buy a ham hock from the grocery store if you want to try the flavor my ham bone gave.



Use one pound of dried peas. I rinsed the peas well with water and picked through them well --yes, you will find some stones :( so don't skip this step. It's worth it in the long run.


I added one box of chicken stock which equals 4 cups. I also added another 7 cups of water to the pot.


Simmer all the ingredients on medium high heat for about 30-45 minutes with a tight fitting lid. You will know when your soup is getting done because the peas will break down and the soup will get very thick and creamy.


In a separate pan, I saute' the diced ham with a teaspoon of oil and some black pepper.


The soup looks ready now so I will fish out the ham bone and the bay leaf. If you did not use a ham bone you can add salt here to taste.

I could not believe the amount of meat I found left on the bone. I am so happy I kept this bone for this soup. There is more than a pound of meat here.


I wanted my soup to be semi-creamy so I blended it with an immersion blender. You can also put some of the soup in a regular blender and cream it that way. If you want a more textured soup, you can skip this step.


Now I add the diced ham (didn't want the ham in the soup until after I blended it).  Also add the ham bone ham if you have it.


Soups on!  This soup really turned out better than I expected. I am blown away from how much flavor the ham bone gave me. I did not salt the soup at all. All the flavor came from the peas, veggies, thyme and that great ham bone. : )   I will definitely try this method again. Hope you guys try it.

Copyright: All recipes, content, and images (unless otherwise stated) are the sole property of Curry and Comfort. Please do not use without prior written consent. Unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment